Should everyone go to an ophthalmologist?

If you have a higher risk of developing an eye disease, either because of your age or a medical condition such as diabetes, you may want to see an ophthalmologist regularly, even if you don't have an eye disease yet.


often have more advanced equipment to detect eye diseases in the early stages. You should see an ophthalmologist if you experience physical changes in your eyes, such as squinting eyes or eyes that turn inward, outward, up, or down. Call for an ophthalmologist right away if you have pain in your eyes, as this could be a symptom of a serious problem.

Go right away if you notice signs of infection in one or both eyes, such as redness, swelling, and discharge. A recent survey found that only half of Americans see an eye professional on a regular basis. We understand that we all lead busy lives. However, it's important to set aside time for an eye exam; here are 20 reasons to see an ophthalmologist.

Should you choose an optometrist (OD) or ophthalmologist (MD) for your initial eye exam? If it's a routine checkup, you can go with either one. If you have or think you might have an eye problem, such as cataracts or another condition that may require surgery, an ophthalmologist is the right choice. Other problems, such as routine glaucoma treatment or diabetic eye health checks, can be handled by either type of doctor. While all optometrists are trained to provide primary care for your eyes, they may be best known for their expertise in vision correction and care.

These vision professionals focus on optimizing visual acuity and helping you manage and optimize your vision as it changes throughout your life. If you have perfect vision, you don't need to have regular check-ups with an optometrist, right? Wrong. According to the American Optometric Association, everyone under the age of 60 should have an eye exam every two years (that becomes annual if you're over 60). And that includes people who don't have any problems with their eyesight.

If you have problems with your eyes or vision, the doctor you should go to is an eye care specialist. For many people whose eyes are generally healthy and only require routine eye exams, an optometrist or ophthalmologist is qualified to care for your needs. An optometrist or ophthalmologist is a matter of personal preference.

Gregor Potzl
Gregor Potzl

Avid beer practitioner. Devoted travel fanatic. Extreme burrito aficionado. Unapologetic baconaholic. Professional internet fan.

Leave Message

All fileds with * are required